Search This Blog

Monday, February 27, 2012

Accountability

Accountability is a term often thrown around in our personal and business life.  It seems like everyone knows the importance of being accountable for their actions, but very few give the term any muscle.

In the simplest of definitions, accountability means being responsible to somebody or to/for something.

How many of you truly hold yourself accountable?

How many times have you not completed a task or goal?

How many times have you not made good on a commitment?

The ability to hold ones’ self accountable is a personal choice.  It is a conscious effort to sort through the riff-raff in life – both personal and business – and identify the priorities that are going to set one apart and be successful.

Here’s a story.  “Earlier this year I ran into some car troubles – the transmission in my truck needed to be replaced.  At the time, my financial situation would not allow me to pay for the full repair.  I have used the same mechanic for years (Auto Service House), and they have always provided me with outstanding customer service.  Because of the relationship I have with them, we were able to set up a payment plan that allowed me to get my truck repaired in a timely fashion and be back in business.  The plan was simple: pay half now, which allowed them to purchase the transmission and not carry the cost, and then pay the remainder of the balance in 30 days. The repair was made and I picked up my truck with in 3 business days.  On the 28th day I paid the remaining balanced owned.  The shop was excited that I not only paid the remaining balance, but also that I paid early.”

Here is the point of the story.  Although people say they have trust and confidence in others, the reality is that on the inside they’re nervous and distrusting.  When you make good on your word, keeping yourself accountable, people are truly impressed and have a restored belief in people and/or business. 

It is truly amazing that the act of simply keeping yourself accountable is the exception and not the rule in society.

Take this lesson and apply it to your day-to-day operation.  Create a business and time management schedule, set up goals and objectives, and become accountable. 

You will make hundreds of choices through out any given day.  Make the choices that put you in the best position to stay accountable to what you desire most.

No comments:

Post a Comment