Search This Blog

Thursday, October 25, 2012

Time Management Re-assessment


If you have tuned in long enough you should have come to the realization that managing your time is extremely important.  In fact, it is among the top 5 reasons a small business owners make it or bust.  So if you haven’t gasped the concept as of yet, it is time; time management is a big deal!  With that said let us assume that you have created a plan to manage your time.  That you have times allotted each week to train clients, marketing, relationship development, and business affairs (ie accounting, payroll, bill paying, etc).

What happens when you add another client?  Take on a new project? Or an unforeseen event pops up?  Have you developed the skills and commitment necessary to adjust to such situations? Obviously the addition of a new client is a good thing, taking on a new project can be seen as a good thing and certainly there are unforeseen events that are good things.  So, the question becomes how can you fit the new events into the plan?  It is because of reasons previously listed and other that you need to re assess the time management plan.

Here is how I approach the re assessment component of the time management plan.

  1. The last week of the preceding month I take some time to evaluate my progress and prepare for the following month based on a couple of factors.  What did I and didn’t I get accomplished in the current month. What do I need to accomplish for the upcoming month.  When I am developing the plan I am using the template of the previous month to set things up. 
  2. Once I have the basics set up then I re-assess my progress on a week to week basis.  Generally speaking I evaluate the week’s production on Friday before the end of the work week.  Then on Sunday morning I make the any needed adjustments to the upcoming weeks schedule.
  3. Finally on a daily basis I am fine tuning the schedule.  Each day I have a to do list of what needs to be accomplished.  The list is broken down into 3 or 4 categories depending on the day.  For example: clients, marketing, follow up, business development.  99% of the time everything business related I can fit into the 4 listed categories.
It is important that you adhere to a the schedule and avoid situations when possible that get you off track.  There are obvious situations that will pull you in another direction such as; a child getting sick or hurt, a pet getting sick or hurt. Having the plan in place will help you quickly get back on track when those types of situations arise.  However, for the other situations that may arise you need to ask yourself, is this important enough to derail me from the goals and objectives I have set for myself?

Think of the time management plan in terms of a plan you have created for a client to achieve their results.  The effectiveness of the plan you have created will be dependent upon the client’s ability to adhere to the plan.  When you notice there are struggles you tweak the plan to keep the client on track. You become an excuse eliminator. You need to maintain the same mentality when it comes to your business and time management plan.  The better you can adhere to the plan the more productive and effective you will become.  The more productive and effective you become the more time you will have to enjoy your life.  Remember your business should support your life.

No comments:

Post a Comment